154 HISTORY OF BROOKLYN.
previously mentioned as diverging from the southerly side of the Brooklyn and Flatbush and Jamaica turnpike (Fulton avenue), a little east of Du Flon's Military Garden. This Red Hook lane seems to have been laid out, according to record, on the 6th of June, 1760; appears upon Ratzers Map (1766-67) and all subsequent maps; and, although mostly swallowed up by the growth of the city, a remnant still survives, between Fulton avenue and Livingston street, and is particularly noticeable as containing the modest retreat of the Board of Education.
Entering this lane, therefore, we pass on the west the old Potters field (vol. 1, 394, note), and along Judge Joralemons land until we reach, at about the junction of the present Court and Pacific streets, a very considerable conical-shaped hillPonkiesbergh, or Cobble hill of Revolutionary memory -rearing itself above the surrounding cornfields. Not far from its base was a ghost-haunted spot, about which dreadful stories were whispered (vol. 1, 252, note 1), which lent wings to the feet of such unwary village urchins as chanced to pass it after dark. Passing, in a westerly direction, around and along the base of this hill, for about three hundred feet, Red Hook lane again turned southwardly. Just at the angle of this turn, on the west side, commenced the private road, or lane called Patchens lane,1 which led down to Ralph Patchens house, near the foot of the present Atlantic street. Upon the incorporation of the village, in 1816, this lane was absorbed by District street, which followed the same course and became the southern boundary of the village. District street, in turn, merged its identity in Atlantic street. Passing along Red Hook lane, through Patchens land, we come to another private road diverging from its easterly side, and known as Freckes lane or the Mill road. From its entrance on Red Hook lane, on line of Court street between East Warren and East Baltic, it ran southerly, to the mills of John C. Freeke and Nehemiah Denton, thence to Gowanus. All of which will be found more fully described in our sixth walk.
1 This was originally a road, three rods wide, running down to a public landing place, six rods long, at low water mark, at foot of what was first District, and now is Atlantic street. This public road and landing place was laid out April 7th, 1714.