HISTORY OF BROOKLYN. 633
The grounds are finely located, embracing every variety of surface and soil suitable for the purpose, beautifully interspersed with hill and dale, wood and water, forest solitude, and open lawns, and the scenery within and around, presents many charming views unsurpassed in variety or beauty, and tastefully developed by science and art. From its more elevated portions are seen, in near and distant perspective, the cities of New York and Brooklyn, numerous villages, the ocean, a long line of seashore, the Sound, and the palisades of the Hudson.
The road ways extend about ten miles, traversing the grounds in every direction. A gateway gives ingress on the south-east from the Brooklyn and Jamaica plank road. A broader gateway gives ingress on the northeast from the Williamsburgh plank road at the corner of Cooper avenue. The main entrance is on the west from Bushwick road.
THE CITIZENS UNION CEMETERY
Is about four miles from either of the Brooklyn ferries, and is situated to the west of the Hunterfly road, between Butler and Sackett streets, and Rochester and Ralph avenues, in the ninth ward. The principal entrance is from Butler street opposite Buffalo avenue, on the north. The association own twenty-nine and one-half acres, twelve of which are appropriated for the cemetery, the remainder being designed for building lots. It was organized November, 8, 1851, under the general law of the state, relative to such associations, and was designed more particularly as a burial place for the colored, upon whom society has put a ban, debarring them from political and social equality in life, and forbidding the commingling of their dust in death. The cemetery is favorably located, and the surface pleasingly diversified, the price of the lots being, also, reasonable, and burial ground is liberally proffered by the trustees free to the poor, the only charge being for opening and closing the grave.
Next to Greenwood cemetery, the principal resting place for the dead in this locality is,
A Roman Catholic cemetery, otherwise known as the Cemetery of the Holy Cross, which differs from Greenwood in this principal particular, that while in Greenwood persons of all religious shades of belief may be interred, in the Holy Cross cemetery none but those who die in the Catholic faith are buried. This cemetery was established in 1849, when Father McDonough, who was then pastor of St. Jamess Church, in Jay street, purchased so