The Friends’ Cemetery, lies near the city line, south of Greenwood, and has a fine location; but, in accordance with the principles of the sect, no ornamental monuments are allowed to be erected in it.

Attached to the Naval Hospital is also a small graveyard, where are buried many of those of the U. S. naval and marine service who have died at this station. Besides the above named, there are several other cemeteries just without the borders of the city, such as Washington Cemetery, Mount Olivet Cemetery, near Maspeth, Queens Co., three and one-half miles from the ferries of Eastern District; and Calvary Cemetery (Catholic), on Laurel hill, in Queens Co., on the north side of Newtown creek.



In this sketch, we have observed, as far as possible, the chronological order of establishment, both of the several denominations and churches in the town and city of Brooklyn. While acknowledging our indebtedness to man of the clerymen men of the city for valuable information conferred concerning their respective churches, we have still to regret that the indifference, and oftener the dilatoriness of some has prevented our making it as perfect a record of Brooklyn's ecclesiastical history, as the importance of the subject demands.


The First Reformed Dutch Church. [We resume the history of this, the oldest church in Brooklyn, from page 196 of our first volume.] On the 4th of March, 1807, the consistory determined upon the erection of a new stone edifice, and the corner-stone was laid about the 15th of May, with appropriate services by the Rev. Peter Lowe. The building was completed (at a cost of $13,745.53), and dedicated December 23d, 1807, Dr. John H. Livingston preaching on the occasion, from Hebrews iv, 12. The new edifice, which stood on the south side of the lane, now known as Joralemon street, somewhat back from the site of the present church, was a very substantial and heavy looking building.2

1 This denominational title was changed, in June, 1868, by action of the General Synod, to that of The Reformed Church.

2 Among tire, papers of the late Gen. Jeremiah Johnson, we have found a scrap memoranda without date, written on the back of another document and entitled, Builders of the church, who are dead, which, without doubt, refers to the church of 1807. It is as follows: Michael Bergen, Simon Bergen, Peter Wyckoff, Walter Berry, Cornelius Van Brunt, Theodorus Polhemus, Adolphus Brower, John Covenhoven, Abraham Luquere, Fernandus Suydam, Tunis Tiebout, Jeremiah Vanderbilt, Nich. R. Covenhoven, Martin Ryerson, Jacob Ryerson, L. Schenck, M. Schenck, Francis Skillman, Jer. A. Remsen, Folkert Rappelyea, Barent Lefferts; Hend. E. Suydam, Michael Vandervoort, John Lefferts—total , twenty-five. On the same paper is a list of those who were living, viz: A. De Bevoise, L. Suydam, L. Lefferts, Bedford; J. Johnson and A. A. Remsen, Wallabout; John C. Freecke, N. Denton, A. Cortelyou, G. Bergen, J. S. Bergen, Gowanus; R. Suydam, Jacob Bergen, Tunis Joralemon, Red Hook; H. S. Suydam, John Moon, A. Remsen, S. Smith, Brooklyn–total, seventeen.

To go to any page in Vol. 2 & 3: