with this agreement the work was promptly undertaken, and the cornerstone of the chapel was laid by Bishop Littlejohn, on the 30th of May, 1869. The chapel is a frame structure, thirty-five by thirty feet, with three hundred and sixty-eight sittings, ceiling of open trusswork, and the front surmounted with turret and bell.

Church of the Mediator. A few friends of the Rev. William H. Reid rented the Juvenile Academy in Washington street, near Concord, opposite the Brooklyn Institute, and transformed it into a neat and tasty Episcopal church which was opened for worship on the first Sunday in April, 1869, with a good congregation : the regular attendance is steadily increasing, and nearly half the pews have been let. On April 4th the congregation organized the church, and elected Ellis S. Bloomfield and Charles Selden, churchwardens, and Thomas White, Theodore F. Brett , Aaron Shute, Alfred Wayte, Judson J. Estee, M.D., William T. Anderson, Anthony T. Bissett and Thomas J. Soden, vestrymen. The vestry have since called the Rev. William H. Reid to be their rector, and he has duly accepted. The church already numbers fifty families and eighty-five communicants, with a Sunday school of one hundred and twenty pupils.


St. Mark’s Church, E. D., on Fourth street, corner of South Fifth, is the oldest Episcopal parish in WiIIiamsburgh, the congregation having been formed in the year 1837, by the labors of the Rev. William Morris, afterwards rector of Trinity school, New York. There were at that time only four communicants, and the parish having been duly organized was received into convention during the same year. Mr. Morris officiated until Easter, 1838, when, after eighteen months of faithful missionary labor, without stipend, he resigned, in order that the congregation might obtain the services of a resident minister. The Rev. Samuel C. Davis was then called to the rectorship, the number of the communicants being twelve, and during his ministry a brick chapel was erected in the rear of the present church edifice. In the following year he resigned his charge, which was assumed in October, 1839, by the Rev. Samuel M. Haskins, there being at that time about eighteen communicants, and a sabbath school of thirty scholars, and six teachers. In a discourse on the twenty-first anniversary of his pastorate, preached on the 28th of October, 1860, Mr. Haskins thus alludes to the early history of his parish, and of the churches which have sprung from it: Twenty-one years ago this day there stood, where I now stand, a small,

To go to any page in Vol. 2 & 3: