German Missionary District of the N. Y. Conference (Williamsburgh circuit). 1852, Francis G. Gratz; 1853, John J. Graw; 1854-5, Jacob Kendler; 1856, Jno. Swahler; 1757, Henry Kastendrick; 1858 (including Brooklyn, N. Y. Bethel Mission and Greenville), John W. Freund and H. Kastendrick; 1859-60, C. F. Grimm; 1859 (Brooklyn and Greenville), J. W. Freund; 1861, Simon F. Zimmerman (Williamsburgh), Henry Leibhart; 1862 (Williamsburgh and Long Island), Leibhart; 1863 (Williamsburgh and Long Island), J. G. Lutz, and (Bethel and Brooklyn), H. Kastendrick; 1864 (Brooklyn and Greenville), F. Bonn; (Williamsburgh and Long Island), J. G. Lutz; 1865 (Brooklyn and Greenville); Williamsburgh and Long Island, S. F. Zimmerman. Eastern German Conference, 1866, Brooklyn south charge, Wm. Kruth, east charge, Lewis Walton; 1867, Brooklyn (Wyckoff street), Wm. H. Kruth; 1867-8, Williamsburgh (Lorimer street), Fred. Glank; 1868, Brooklyn (Wyckoff street), F. G. Gratz.


The Methodist Protestant Church (E. D.), being the third ecclesiastical organization in the former village of Williamsburgh, originated in the secession of thirty-five members from the existing Methodist Episcopal church of the place. It was organized in 1832, and a small, but comfortable edifice was erected, which was dedicated in the autumn of 1853, and was replaced, in 1850, by a brick structure. Its first board of trustees were Frederick Dickerman, John Snyder, Benjamin Doxey, Peter Merrit and Stephen Baker; the number of communicants at the time of organization being twenty. Rev. Ruel Hanks was installed pastor in 1835, and Rev. Wm. H. Johnson was pastor from 1849 to 1854.

The Brooklyn Primitive Methodist Church has existed since 1839. In church government it is entirely democratic, and all matters of progress and discipline are settled by the will of the people. The church is situated in Bridge street, between Concord and Tillary streets. It is a wood frame building, the inside plain and neat, and the religious devotions are energetic and lively. All the seats in the church are free. An interesting Sunday school is also in operation. Revival Services have been conducted in the church since the commencement of the present year (1869). Pastor, Rev. Charles Spurr.

Protestant Methodist Church, originated in a schism, which took place among the Primitive Methodists, in 1839. The secession first assumed the style of Wesleyan Methodists, and hired the building that had been erected

To go to any page in Vol. 2 & 3: