HISTORY OF BROOKLYN. 735
Roman Catholic Institutions.
College of St. John the Baptist, attached to the church of the.-same name, corner of Lewis street and Willoughby avenue. This institution is to be open to all sects, and will sustain the same relation to Brooklyn as the Sixteenth Street College does to New York city. The church, at the head of which, are Rev. Fathers John Quigley, C. M., and Edward Smith, C. M., was commenced about July, 1868, in the rooms of the small frame dwelling of the pastor, and now numbers six hundred members, and they have a large frame meeting house on Willoughby avenue. Near it, and fronting on Lewis street is the college. This will be of brick, mounted with North River blue-stone, and will cost $43,000. The building will have a body and two wings, the body being of dimensions seventy-two feet by twentyseven feet, and the wings, one hundred and eighteen by sixty-one. It will be three stories high, with French roof and dormant windows. Its cornerstone was laid by Rt. Rev. Bishop Loughlin, on the 25th of July, 1869. The cost of the entire college, when completed and furnished, is estimated at $150,000; and when completed will be formally opened and placed under the charge of the members of the order of Lazarus, by whom the educational department is to be conducted. The architect of the building is P. C. Keeley.
Sisters of Charity. This well known order, founded in France by St. Vincent de Paul, was established in America by Mrs. Eliza Ann Seton, a native of the state of New York. The first house was at Emmitsburgh, Maryland, from which it has spread all over the United States.
In Brooklyn they have (since 1836), directed the Female Orphan Asylum, at the corner of Cliinton and Congress streets, now containing five hundred and twenty-three orphans, Sister Constantia being the superior. They have also the direction of an Industrial School attended by one hundred and twenty-three girls, as well as the parish schools connected with St. Paul's church, containing two hundred and forty pupils, and at the Church of the Assumption with six hundred pupils.
Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum (female department, corner of Congress and Clinton streets, and male department on Wyckoff street, near Albany avenue) was founded by a society organized in 1829. Mr. Peter Turner, to whose zeal the society was deeply indebted for its success, was chosen first president, holding the position for three years, the longest term allowed by the constitution, and was succeeded by Dr. J. S. Thorn. On 6th