they still own and occupy with their large mission school, numbering about seven hundred children, and a German Presbyterian church, under the pastorate of the Rev. Henry Lorch. In 1867, believing that the time had come for a church to the south of their old location (a few blocks), they determined, in connection with a. number of Christians residing in the neighborhood, to erect a temporary church edifice on the corner of Throop and Willoughby avenues. Its corner-stone was laid on Saturday, May 25th, of that year, and the building completed in October of the same year. On sabbath, October 20, in the morning, it was dedicated to God with a prayer by the Rev. R. S. Stone, and a sermon by the pastor elect, Rev. John Lowrey. In the evening of the same day, Mr. Lowrey was installed pastor of the church by the Presbytery of Nassau. He continues pastor to this time. The church has had but one other pastor, Rev. John Hancock, who was installed December, 1863, and released by the Presbytery of Nassau, December, 1866, to accept a call from the Ainslie Street Church, Brooklyn, E. D. The present edifice is about thirty by seventy feet, and cost at time of erection $9,000. With the other brick church in Throop, near Flushing avenue, the church property is valued at about $30,000.


First Baptist Church,1 corner of Nassau and Liberty streets. During the prevalence of the yellow fever in New York, in the summer of 1822, Elijah Lewis and Eliakim. Raymond removed to Brooklyn as a retreat from the scourge. Finding in the village five other Baptists, they commenced a prayer meeting, occasionally procuring preaching for twenty or thirty persons whom they could gather to hear a Baptist minister. Despite the subsequent removal of these two brethren to New York, and although it involved the leaving of their own comfortable slips in Oliver or Mulberry street churches, and the frequent crossing of the East river, sometimes in an open boat, these labors of love and faith were maintained during the ensuing winter and spring, and preachers were supplied at their expense; with the assistance afterwards of Mr. Wm. Winterton. At length, on the evening of August 19, 1823, a church was organized consisting of the following members: Charles P. Jacobs, Richard Jones, Joshua Evans, Maria Cornell, Hannah Jones, Sarah Quereau, Elizabeth Jacobs, Margaret Evans, Margaret Nostrand, and Eliza Ann Rust. Chas. P. Jacobs was

1 We find in the L. I. Star, November 24, 1819, notice given to the Baptists and people of Brooklyn, that the Rev. John Ellis has hired a house opposite Mr. Hick’s, in Fulton street, for divine worship.

To go to any page in Vol. 2 & 3: