HISTORY OF BROOKLYN. 779
Ile accepted and entered upon his duties in September. During his pastorate, which continued until March 8, 1867, new lots were secured in a now eligible location, and a neat brick edifice was built, which was afterwards enlarged, and which is now worth about $40,000. Large numbers were added to the church by letters and baptisms. This great result was due to the tiring labors of the pastor, who in connection with the members, wrought faithfully to strengthen the church, and their efforts were crowned with splendid success. In the following April, Rev. J. W. T. Boothe, the present pastor was called. The present members, about three hundred and seventy-five.
The Sunday school in connection with the church progressed as the church did. During Mr. Reids pastorate its success was most gratifying, and it now numbers about four hundred scholars and teachers. There are two mission schools in connection with the church school. The Sixth Street Mission was organized September 20, 1868, and now numbers about seventyfive. The Union Avenue Mission was organized September 27th, 1868, and its present numbers are about seventy. Lots have been secured for each of these missions upon which edifices are to be built this spring.
Of the Central Mission, the First Mission, Herkimer Street, Lee Avenue, Second ( Williamsburgh), Berean (colored), and V. Olivet (colored) Baptist churches we have not been able to procure sketches.
VII. THE UNITARIAN CHURCHES.
First Unitarian Congregational Church I (Church of the Saviour), northeast corner of Pierrepont street and Monroe Place. Unitarian services were first held in Brooklyn, in 1833, at which time there were residing in the village, a half dozen or more families of avowed liberal religious views, some of whom (there being no church of their own in the place) were accustomed to attend the Presbyterian church in Cranberry street, while others, from sabbath to sabbath, crossed the river to hear the Rev. William Ware, pastor of the First Unitarian Church in New York, then worshiping in Chambers street. This, however, was accompanied by great hardship and inconvenience, and at the suggestion of Capt. John Frost (made to W. H. Cary and John Jewett, Jr., with whom, and members of their families, he was returning, in the ferry boat one sabbath, from Mr. Ware's church), steps
1 Rev. Dr. A. P. Putnams Sermon at the Commemoration Services, April 25, 1869, on the 25th anniversary of the, Consecration of the Church and the Installation of the first Minister, etc.