of fifty persons, and Rev. A. P. Putnam in the evening to about the same number. On the evening of December 3d, 1867, over thirty persons, interested in the new movement, met at the hall on Classon avenue, and organized as The Third Unitarian Congregational Society of Brooklyn, it, N. Y.; the following gentlemen being chosen as trustees, viz: H. B. Shute, James Whiting, Robert Foster, G. B. Elkins, E. T. Fisher, David Baker, William Lombard, J. W. Cory and Joseph Slagg. On sabbath, Oct. 29, 1867, a Sabbath school was organized at the hall; and, at the request of the society, R. Foster assumed the charge of the same. Seven classes were formed, comprising in all nine scholars; the membership now numbering about seventy-five, including officers. To the labors of Revs. E. J. Galvin and H. C. Badger, as supplies, during the earlier months of its existence, and to the preaching of Rev. Robert Collyer, of Chicago, on Oct. 11, 1868, the society is largely indebted for the impetus and influence which the enterprise rapidly gained. Its expenses, during the three months preceding January 1, 1868, were defrayed by the First Unitarian Society, to the zeal and services of whose pastor, Rev. A. P. Putnam, under the blessing of God, the new organization most largely owes its origin and success. A subscription paper placed in circulation among his parishioners, in February, 1868, by this clergyman, secured a contribution of $10,000, to which the American Unitarian Association subsequently appropriated $5,000 additional, for the purpose of erecting a chapel for the use of the Third Society. Seven lots were purchased on Classon avenue and Lefferts street, designs and plans for a chapel were contributed by Wm. Field & Son, and, on September 4th, the corner-stone was laid. The dedication services were held Dec. 9th, 1868; the completed building having cost, inclusive of lots, $25,716. The Rev. Stephen H. Camp, of Toledo, Ohio, was installed over this church, as its first pastor, Oct. 6th, 1869.


Independent Congregational Church. On the 18th of September, 1785, an Independent Meeting House" was erected, and a congregation regularly incorporated with the following officers: John Matlock, pastor; George Wall, assistant ; John Carpenter, treasurer ; George Powers, secretary; William Benton, Robert Steath, Barnard Cordman, John Emery and William Hinson, trustees. Their place of worship, which was a sort of partnership or union concern, stood on what was, until lately, the old Episcopal burying ground in Fulton street. Its members, however, disagreed among themselves, and the building shortly after came into the possession of some of the

To go to any page in Vol. 2 & 3: