812 HISTORY OF BROOKLYN.
moved to his present church in Williamsburgh. He writes for the Christian Leader, the Universalist organ of this state, and is the secretary of the New York Universalist Association, and of the executive committee of the state convention.
The Universalist Church of Green-Point was started in the spring of 1855, in a hall near the Bushwick Creek bridge, on Franklin street, under leadership of Mr. Birney and others. It languished, however, but was revived in 1851, under the pastorship of Rev. Mr. Thomas, awhile and by help of Rev. Dr. Sawyer of New York. Its present condition is unknown to us.
X. LUTHERAN CHURCHES.
The St. Johns German Lutheran Church (E. D.), located on Graham avenue, corner of Wyckoff street, was incorporated July 25, 1847, under the name of the German Evangelical Church, the number of communicants being then ninety. Its first pastor was the Rev. Benjamin Louis Schwartz; Elders, Geo. Beek, Charles Maerts, James Weisshaan; and deacons, David Klink, C. Herrschaft, George Goetz. In November, 1848, Mr. Schwartz, having received a call to Boston, wag succeeded by the Rev. Christian Frederick Hermann Beusel, who died in August, 1849, and in December of the same year was followed by the Rev. Robert Koehler. Mr. Koehler, in July, 1850, dissolved his connection with the congregation, and in August, the Rev. John H. Mengart was elected pastor. At this time the number of communicants was one hundred and sixty, with an average attendance of three hundred and twenty, and a Sabbath school, with an average attendance of between ninety and one hundred pupils. Rev. Christian J. Weisel is the present pastor.
The Zion German Evangelical Lutheran Church (Henry street, near Clark). In the fall of 1855, the present pastor of this church, the Rev. Frederick William Tobias Steimle, who had been previously stationed in the Eastern District, was induced to come to this portion of the city with the hope of establishing a new Lutheran church organization. The enterprise had its hindrances and difficulties, but a good friend, Jacob Goedel, Esq., hired a room in the Franklin Buildings, corner of Nassau and Fulton streets, in which divine services were held on the first sabbath of Advent, 1855, only about twelve persons being present. The number of attendants gradually increased, until in March, 1856, the congregation sought more