HISTORY OF BROOKLYN. 817
Christian Association, corner of Fulton avenue and Gallatin place, was inaugarated, January 21, 1870.
Ahavis Achim. A society of reformed Jews, of the Eastern District, was established, and their Sepher Tore, or Book of the Law, dedicated at the hall, corner of Messerole and Ewen streets, August 31, 1869.
The Brooklyn Society of the New Jerusalem (Swedenborgian). One Sunday morning in the latter part of April, 1856, about twenty-five persons assembled in the parlors of one of the members. Dr. R. C. Moffat was selected to lead in the worship, which position he continued to fill for over two years and a half, when the services of a minister were secured. The form of worship given in the old Convention Book of Worship was adopted, and a sermon selected by the reader was read. These services were continued about a year. Of the thirty persons whose names are recorded as regular attendants at these first services only thirteen are members of the present congregation, a change which forcibly illustrates the transient character of the population of our cities.
In May, 1857, the hall of the academy on Clinton street, near Pierrepont, was secured as a place of worship, and then the attendance was from thirty to thirty-five; a year later it increased from forty-five to fifty. During this time the congregation had the occasional services of a minister. Messrs. De Charms, N. C. Burnham, Benade, Bryan, S. H. Worcester, Hayden and Hubbard preached at different times and administered the sacraments. Rev. Samuel Warren's preaching about this time was So much admired as to arouse a desire for a settled minister, and eventually, on the 31st of October, 1858, Mr. James E. Mills, a licentiate of Boston, was invited to become their minister. He accepted the position for one year, and at once entered upon his duties, and, after some difficult work, succeeded in organizing, on the 5th of December, 1858, a Sunday school with five teachers and twentyfour scholars, all of whom are, with one or two exceptions, now members of the Church.
During the winter of 1858-9, the subject of adopting a permanent society organization was thoroughly discussed, and ended in the institution, on the 29th of May, 1859, of a society consisting of twenty-five members, under the name of the Brooklyn Society of the New Jerusalem, which was finally organized on the 15th of June, 1859 (constitution adopted June 3d), by the