August 28, 1997

Robin's studio was too busy to let me listen to the DAT tapes, so today I paid Harvestworks $20 for the use of a DAT deck and a pair of headphones. Robin had warned me that I might hear more than I bargained for with headphones on, and she was right--all sorts of frightening ambience clashes and camera noise that I'd never noticed before jumped out at me. I went home and put the VHS copy on, and with some straining I could make out the defects that sounded so dramatic in the headset. I have to figure out whether these problems will be audible in the finished film, or whether the headphones subject the sound track to unfair scrutiny.

I sent out three more festival tapes yesterday, bringing me up to 13 applications outstanding. I'm starting to get to the point where the first festivals that I applied last year are coming around again. If I'd guessed that the movie would take this long, I would have refrained from sending out those early tapes and waited until I had a polished product to present. But then, one of the reasons that the film has taken this long is that I didn't have a festival acceptance to motivate me and others to move quickly.

Click here to read the next diary entry, here to read the previous entry, and here to go back to the main menu.