NYC Landlord Alert!
New Lead Paint Responsibilities
YOU Qualify for a
| All NYC Building
Owners & Managers
New Lead Paint Requirements
August 2, 2004
Pre-1960 Buildings with Resident or Visiting Children
Lead Paint Local Law 1 Took Effect
As of August 2, 2004, all owners & managers must:
1. Ask every tenant if a child under 7 years old is present in the apartment.
2. Physically inspect each apartment with a child for lead-paint hazards.*
3. Survey all common areas for lead-paint hazards.
4. Abate all hazards within 21 days.
5. Notify the Department of Health 10 days before commencing work.
6. Send a list of all hazards to the tenant and the Department of Health.
7. Send all clearance results to the tenant and HPD.
8. Keep records for 10 years of hazards*, licenses, clearance results, and all forms.
9. Use only EPA-certified contractors.
10. Use an EPA-certified independent Dust Wipe Clearance firm.
Not only that, but you must also: Repeat each of these 10 steps each year!
Follow these rules or face stiff penalties and fines!
Allow HPD and DOH to audit all your records!
| * Lead-paint
painted window sills
cracked or peeling paint
all deteriorating painted surfaces
Call Laurence B. Molloy to see if you qualify for a
Lead Paint Exemption
Laurence B. Molloy
New York, NY