1. First Baptist Church founded 1822
2. Second Baptist Church founded 1830
3. Pierrepont Street Baptist Church founded 1840
4. The East Brooklyn Baptist Church founded 1847
5. Lefferts Park Mission
6. The South Baptist Church founded 1845
7. The Central Baptist Church founded 1847
8. The Strong Place Baptist Church founded 1847
9. The Greenwood Baptist Church, The Tabernacle, and the Carroll Street Mission
10. The Washington Avenue Baptist Church founded 1851
11. Tabernacle Baptist Church founded 1852
12. Atlantic Street (now Hanson place) Baptist Church founded 1853
13. The Greenwood Baptist Church founded 1858
14. The Gethsemane (late Bushwick avenue) Baptist Church founded 1867
15. The First Baptist Church (E. D.) [Williamsburgh Bethel Independent Baptist Church] founded 1839
16. Central Baptist Church (Williamsburgh) founded 1865
17. The First German Baptist Church founded 1863
18. First Baptist Church, Green-Point founded 1847
Of the Central Mission, the First Mission, Herkimer Street, Lee Avenue, Second ( Williamsburgh), Berean (colored), and V. Olivet (colored) Baptist churches we have not been able to procure sketches.
First Baptist Church, corner of Nassau and Liberty streets. During the prevalence of the yellow fever in New York, in the summer of 1822, Elijah Lewis and Eliakim Raymond removed to Brooklyn as a retreat from the scourge. Finding in the village five other Baptists, they commenced a prayer meeting, occasionally procuring preaching for twenty or thirty persons whom they could gather to hear a Baptist minister. Despite the subsequent removal of these two brethren to New York, and although it involved the leaving of their own comfortable slips in Oliver or Mulberry street churches, and the frequent crossing of the East river, sometimes in an open boat, these labors of love and faith were maintained during the ensuing winter and spring, and preachers were supplied at their expense; with the assistance afterwards of Mr. Wm. Winterton. At length, on the evening of August 19, 1823, a church was organized consisting of the following members: -Charles P. Jacobs, Richard Jones, Joshua Evans, Maria Cornell, Hannah Jones, Sarah Quereau, Elizabeth Jacobs, Margaret Evans, Margaret Nostrand, and Eliza Ann Rust. Chas. P. Jacobs was chosen clerk. The brethren Raymond and Lewis continued their membership in New York, but gave their labors and counsel to the new enterprise.
The church thus formed was publicly recognized the next day, with appropriate services; the sermon on the occasion being preached by Rev. A. Maclay, from Acts, ii, 47 ; and the first accession to their number was made (on a relation of their experience), by John Brown and his wife, from England. The first pastor was the Rev. Wm. C. Hawley, called to ordination by the church at a special meeting, February 23d, 1824, and publicly set apart to the work on the 24th of the ensuing mouth. The meetings of the church were held, at first in private houses, even on the sabbaths, as those of week day evenings were for a long time. After a while they procured the use of the district school house, on the corner of Adams and Concord streets ; and afterwards occupied the public school house in Middagh street, until the summer of 1826, by which time they had completed a house of worship which is yet standing on Pearl street, between Nassau and Concord. This edifice was forty by sixty feet, without galleries, but large enough for their wants at the time. Built upon a free-seat principle, by a people of small aggregate means, they were obliged to draw largely upon brethren Raymond, Lewis, Corning and others. In September, 1827, Elijah Lewis and Gersham Howell were chosen and set apart as the first deacons of the church, to which number were added E. Raymond, in the month of January, 1830. On the 24th of December, 1827, Mr. Hawley resigned the pastorate, leaving the congregation dependent upon transient supplies of pulpit service for several months. Rev. Mr. Joseph A. Warne served as pastoral supply from September, 1828, to January, 1829; and shortly after (February) the services of Rev. George Colt were obtained, and continued until May, 1830, when they were again thrown upon such arrangements as they could make from week to week. In November of the same year, the -Rev. Josiah Denham was engaged for six months, and, in March, 1832, Rev. Jonathan E. Lassell was chosen pastor, but resigned his charge in October following. He was succeeded by Rev. Leland Howard, who sustained the pastoral relation till the close of 1836. During his term, in 1834, the church building was sold to the Free Calvary Episcopal Church, for $5,000, and the use of the Presbyterian lecture room, now know as Gothic Hall, in Adams street. With this sum and an authorized loan, a substantial brick building was erected on the corner of Nassau and Liberty streets, and finished early in the spring of 1835. In 1837, Rev. Silas Ilsley assumed the pastorate, which he held for four years. Upon his resignation the Rev. James L. Hodge was unanimously called from Albany, December, 1841. In the disastrous fire of September, 1848, this building was destroyed, and until December of the following year services were held in the lecture room of the old Packer Institute.
The present house was completed in the winter of 1849, with a lecture room in the rear, and at a cost of less than $16,000, including the furniture. The church itself would accommodate about eight hundred people, and was always considered a neat and chaste edifice, with a very fine interior. Mr. Hodge was succeeded in the pastorate by Rev. 0. W. Briggs; and he by Rev. I. D. J. Yerkes, who resigned in September, 1863. The church had at this time gradually decreased in membership ; but in 1864, the Rev. H. M. Gallaher was called from Quincy, Illinois, and a change was at once apparent, the strength of the church increasing by new additions, and enlarged attendance. In one year from June, 1865, the additions by baptism alone were over one hundred, and the total additions since his assuming the pastorate have exceeded two hundred. The entire membership now numbers about six hundred. The church edifice was enlarged, in 1866, by the addition of the lecture room ; has a comfortable interior, and seats one thousand five hundred persons. As this alteration involved the use of the lecture and Sunday school rooms, the old Juvenile High School in Washington street, above Concord, has been engaged for these purposes.
Harry Moran Gallaher was born at Castlebar, Ireland, September 11th 1833. He immigrated to the United States in August, 1850. Mr. Gallaher worked for four years at carriage painting, always with the wish and intention of devoting himself to the ministry of God if opportunity should offer. He was bred an Episcopalian. He was self-educated up to the time of his entering Shurtleff College, Alton, Illinois, in 1855. Here be graduated in June, 1861. He settled as pastor of Vermont Street Baptist church, Quincy, Illinois, in June, 1861, where he remained until he was called to the First Baptist Church, Brooklyn.
The sabbath school has ever been regarded with peculiar favor by this church; a prominent place having been given to it in their first letter to the Hudson River Association, in 1826. Elijah Lewis, one of the fathers of the church, was its first superintendent, and served it in that office for nearly twenty-five years, being followed by Edward L. Brown.
The Second Baptist Church was organized about the year 1830, with seven members who at first worshiped in the " Brooklyn Academy" on the corner of Henry and Pineapple streets. In 1834, a church edifice was erected on a leased lot, corner of Tillary and Lawrence, at a cost of about $4,000. The Rev. Jacob Price, C. F. Frey, John Beetham (1839-40) and Octavius Winslow (1836-37), successively labored he re; but whether any of them were settled as pastors is not ascertained. In the autumn of 1838, this church was dissolved, and the building sold to the Free Presbyterian congregation. (Prime's Hist. L. I. p. 400).
Pierrepont Street Baptist Church, Pierrepont, corner of Clinton street, was organized in April, 1840, with forty members, and the Rev. E. E. L. Taylor, under whose labors the enterprise had commenced, became its pastor. On the 20th of July, 1843, the corner-stone was laid, of a gothic edifice, seventy-seven by sixty feet, which was finished during the following year, at a cost of over $14,000, besides the lot which cost $5,000. In November, 1848, the Rev. Dr. Bartholomew Welsh, of Albany, N. Y., succeeded Mr. Taylor, and was followed June, 1854, by the Rev. John S. Holmes. Rev. J. S. Holmes was installed as pastor, August, 1854, and dismissed April 8, 1863; was followed by Rev. J. B. Thomas, D.D., who was installed July, 1864, and resigned January, 1868; and he, by the present pastor, Rev. Walter W. Hammond, who was-installed September 10, 1868. Mr. Hammond is from Medford, Mass. ; prepared for college at Cambridge High School; graduated from Harvard University in 1863, and from Newton Theological Seminary in June, 1868. The present church membership is about four hundred, and of the sabbath school two hundred and fifty. The church, also, mainly support the mission school, at 175 Sands street, which was organized in the spring of 1869, and is conducted by Rev. John Toomath, who also preaches on the sabbath and holds week day prayer meetings in connection with the mission.
The East Brooklyn Baptist Church (Bedford avenue, north of Myrtle), which was commenced by the labors of Rev, Mr. Williams, and afterwards of Rev. Mr. Ballard, assembling first at the Academy, and subsequently at Temperance Hall, in Graham street, was organized January 27, 1847, with seventeen members, nine of whom were females. Its first pastor, Rev. William Hutchinson, remained only till March of the same year when he was succeeded by the Rev. Henry Green, who remained until October 29th, 1847. The next pastor, Rev. Arus Haynes, served from February 4th, 1848 to February, 1852, when he resigned on account of ill health, and was succeeded by Rev. W. J. Goodno. During his pastorate, in 1852, the church purchased three lots of ground on Bedford avenue, between Myrtle and Willoughby avenues, and erected thereon a church edifice, in the basement of which they commenced worship February 12th, 1853. Mr. Goodno resigned July 31st, 1854, and, on 10th of following September, Rev. Stephen Remington accepted a call from the church to become its pastor. Soon after a revival occurred which added largely to the membership of the church, which in June, 1855, numbered one hundred and forty-five, with a sabbath school attendance of one hundred and eighty-two, The church edifice was completed and dedicated on the 11th of October, 1855; and, in February, 1859, Mr. Remington resigned his pastorate and was succeeded by the present pastor, Rev. Hiram Hutchins. The church, which, at that time, numbered two hundred and thirty-two, received an addition of one hundred and sixty members, by a revival in the winter of 1866 and 1867. Membership in 1868 was four hundred and fifty-six, and a sabbath school numbering five hundred and twenty scholars.
Lefferts Park Mission is also under charge of this church.
The South Baptist Church was organized with seventy members, principally from the First Baptist Church, in April, 1845; and a small lecture room building erected on Livingston street. It dissolved, however, in the fall of 1847, many of its members uniting with the Central Baptist Church, and another organization being in prospect, in a still more southerly portion of the city.
The Central Baptist Church (Bridge street between Myrtle avenue and Willoughby street), was organized on the 4th of October, 1847, with ninety members, a sabbath school having been formed, and preaching services and prayer meetings sustained since the early part of the preceding spring. The congregation was publicly recognized in the Pierrepont street Baptist church, on the 17th of October, 1847. The congregation, which had previously been occupying the second floor of the building known as Granada Hall, on Myrtle avenue, between Bridge and Duffield streets, secured during its first year the lots which it now occupies, and erected a lecture room, sixty-two by thirty-two feet, at the rear of the property; the main building fifty-eight by sixty-eight feet being finished about the end of the second year, the whole costing about $18,000. Nine persons have been licensed by this church to preach the gospel as follows: Henry F. Smith, P. S. Evans, John Burnett, Edwin Cherry, Jas. A. Mets, Fred. Greaves, Joseph Greaves, George B. St. John, John Higgs.
A mission school, with three weekly preaching services connected, has been sustained for several years past, conducted by one of the licentiates of the church.
John Wesley Sarles, pastor of this church, was born in Bedford, Westchester county, N. Y., June, 1817 ; removed to New York city in 1829 ; was baptized by Rev. Spencer H. Cone, in Oliver Street Baptist Church, N. Y., April 1834 ; licensed to preach by that church April, 1839 ; spent eight years at Madison University, Hamilton, N. Y.; graduated from theological department, August, 1847; became connected with the Central Baptist Church, in spring of 1847, salary dating from September following; and was ordained 27th October, 1847.
The Strong Place Baptist Church. In the mouth of October, 1847, some of the residents in South Brooklyn, then a rapidly growing section of the city, established a Sunday school in a vacant house on Degraw street, near Columbia. Among them were Messrs. Wm. M. Price, Truman Richards, Dr. A. C. Burke, Mrs. D. P. Richards, Mrs. A. J. Downer, and Miss M. Downer. The number of children at first gathered into this school was eighteen, which was afterwards increased to an average attendance of from fifty to sixty. In December, 1847, prayer and conference meetings were commenced in the Sunday school room with occasional preaching on Sunday evenings for the ensuing six months; after which time, with few omissions, preaching was regularly maintained on Sunday evenings. Ere long better and larger accommodations were required, and found in May, 1848, in a small hall on the corner of Degraw and Columbia streets, which was very soon filled.
About the first of September, 1848, Mr. George M. Van Derlip, a licentiate of the Oliver street Baptist church, and student in the University of the City of New York, who preached the first sermon in connection with this movement, began to preach regularly on Sunday evenings, and continued so to do till the Opening Of the Sunday school room in Strong Place, where he preached the first sermon on the 6th of January, 1849. In the course of the summer of 1848, the call for the establishment of a more permanent institution becoming imperative, the gentlemen before mentioned with others residing in that quarter of the city, held several meetings with reference to that object. Most of those who attended these preliminary business meetings, were members of the Pierrepont Street Baptist Church, Brooklyn; several, however, who manifested a cordial interest in the enterprise were not professors of religion. The result of these meetings was that the Rev. Elisha E. L. Taylor, pastor of the Pierrepont Street Baptist Church, was, in November, 1848 invited to accept the pastoral care of the new organization, at an annual salary of $1,200. The call was accepted; and at a meeting held on the evening of October 23d, 1848 pursant to legal notice, the Strong Place Baptist Church was duly organized, and Messrs. Edwin C. Burt, James E. Southworth and E. Darwin Litchfield were elected trustees. Eligible lots on the corner of Strong Place and Degraw street were purchased, and the erection of a suitable lecture room commenced. The sabbath school and conference room was so far completed on the 6th of January, 1849, that services were held therein that evening, and on the next day, January 7th, the sabbath school, numbering about eighty scholars, and having had connected with it from its organization about one hundred and forty, commenced its regular sessions in the Dew room.
On the evening of the 31st of January, 1849, a meeting was held at the lecture room, at which the organization of the Strong Place Baptist Church was fully completed by the formal adoption of a declaration of faith, and covenant, by sixty-six persons, fifty-six of whom brought letters from Pierrepont street, and ten from other churches. At an adjourned meeting, February 7, James E. Southworth, Moses B. Savage, and Edwin C. Burt were chosen deacons. The chapel was opened for divine worship on Sunday, March 18; the public recognition of the church taking place April 18th.
From that period the growth of the church has been very rapid, and at various periods most extensive revivals have been enjoyed. During the winter of 1848-50, a very interesting revival occurred, as the fruits of which fortyfour were baptized. The membership, in June, 1850, was one hundred and fifty-six; in 1851, one hundred and ninetythree; in 1852, two hundred and nineteen; in 1853, two hundred and ninety-one. In the winter of 1852-3, the second extensive revival was enjoyed, over fifty baptisms resulting. In 1854, the membership was three hundred and twenty-two; in 1855, three hundred and fifty-four; in 1856, three hundred and seventy-five. In the winter of 1856-7, a powerful revival added over one hundred to the membership by baptism, and in June, 1862, the church numbered six hundred members.
Within the last three or four years, the society has built three separate houses of worship, viz: The Greenwood Baptist Church, The Tabernacle, corner of Rapelyea and Hicks streets, and the Carroll Street Mission, near Hoyt street. The Sunday school is one of the most prosperous in the city, the first mission Sunday school of the church having at one time over one thousand scholars. In its pecuniary affairs the church has also been exceedingly prosperous, being free debt, and with a large surplus. To the indefatigable efforts of its first pastor, the Rev. Mr. Taylor, most of this prosperity and success is due- Rev. Wayland Hoyt hi the present pastor.
The church is purely gothic in style ; is one of the handsomest in the city, and universally attracts the attention of strangers from its architectural beauties.
The Washington Avenue Baptist Church, corner of Washington and Gates avenues, had its inception in the heart and mind of Deacon J. Hepburn Clark. Having removed to this vicinity, then in the outskirts of the city, he ascertained that there were quite a number of Baptists residing in the neighborhood, while the nearest church of the denomination was considerably over a mile distant. Availing himself, therefore, of what seemed to be a favorable opportunity to begin a new Baptist church, he, in connection with Mr. Holbrook Chamberlain, of the Strong Place Baptist Church, instituted devotional meetings at his own house, which were continued every sabbath evening for several months. Early in 1851, the brethren who had become interested in the movement determined to organize a church and erect a meeting house. Accordingly a committee, consisting of John H. Clark, J. G. Gilbert and J. 0. Whitehouse, in March of that year, purchased lots for that purpose upon Clinton avenue, south of De Kalb avenue, but not being fully satisfied with the title to the property, it was finally relinquished. About this time, an opportunity offered to purchase the property of a Dutch Reformed church which bad started an enterprise, which it was unable to carry through, upon the corner of Washington and Gates avenues. This property, consisting of eight or nine lots of land, with a front of one hundred and three feet on Washington and Hamilton avenues, and two hundred and thirteen feet on Gates avenue, with a frame lecture room and the foundations of a church edifice, was secured for the sum of $7,000 ; and the lecture room, under the new auspices, was opened for divine worship, on Sunday, November 23d, 1851, and a sabbath school commenced on the same afternoon with Jno. H. Clark, as superintendent. The church was fully organized December 17th, 1851, with twenty-seven members, and was duly recognized as an independent church by an ecclesiastical council, on the following day; John H. Clark, Geo. W. Bleecker and Holbrook Chamberlain, being elected the first deacons. The church was without a pastor, until September, 1852, when Rev. J. L. Hodge accepted a call, and during his pastorship of some three years the membership increased from thirty-six to one hundred and sixtyeight, fifty-six of whom were received by baptism. On the 21st of October, 1855, Dr. Hodge resigned to become pastor of the South Baptist church of Newark, N. J., and the church remained without a pastor for over a year, during which its membership decreased to one hundred and thirty-eight. A call was then extended to, and accepted by Rev. Courtland W. Anable, of Germantown. Pa., who was duly installed December 11, 1856. During his pastorate, occurred the great revival of 1857-8, as the results of which ninety-one members were received by this church, by baptism. Up to this time the congregation had worshiped in the frame lecture room originally purchased, but new and larger accommodations were now needed, and a church edifice was, therefore, erected adjoining the lecture room, which was dedicated in February, 1860. Mr. Anable resigned his charge November, 1, 1862, at which time the membership numbered two hundred and six. On the 1st of March 1864, the Rev. David Moore, Jr., of Buffalo, N. Y., assumed the pastorate. In May, 1865, the old lecture room was taken down and in its place was erected, under the superintendence of E. L. Roberts, architect, a chapel, combining sabbath school room, church, parlor, and other rooms, which for beauty, convenience and adaptedness to its purpose, has been considered without a superior in the country. Under Mr. Moore's ministrations this church has grown rapidly in numbers and influence. In four years, one hundred and sixty converts were received by baptism, and the church increased from one hundred and ninety-seven to four hundred and eighty two members. The whole number added by baptism, since the organization of the church, is three hundred and thirteen members. In the summer of 1867, the increasing demand for sittings in the church, necessitated the addition of galleries to the audience room, which had previously had only an organ loft. These were erected and added materially to the beauty, as well as the capacity of the church edifice.
In addition to their own sabbath school this church supports the Van Brunt Street and the Herkimer Street Mission Schools.
Tabernacle Baptist Church, Hicks, corner of Rapelyea street, originated with a few members of the Strong Place Baptist Church, who, on February 8th, 1852, formed a mission Sunday school, in a small hall (afterwards called Mission Hall), over a stable in Hamilton avenue, midway between Union and President streets. There were present, at the first meeting, one female and three male teachers, with one female and ten male scholars; and, at the second session, four male and two female teachers, with twenty male and five female scholars. These early teachers were J. V. Harriott, Dwight Spencer and Dr. A. C. Burke; and (ladies) E. Burke and E. Rosling. The school rapidly increased, and in the winter of 1854-5, the labors of William James, a student of the ministry, were secured, and his labors as a colporteur missionary, were greatly blessed and followed by a revival among the scholars, their parents and their friends. In the fall of 1855, at the request of the teachers, a missionary, the Rev. Henry Brownley, was appointed by the church, to labor continually in this field, which was extended so as to include Gowanus, at which a minion school was also established, from which, in 1858, the Greenwood Baptist Church was formed. The first mission school also enjoyed another revival, and being increased to two hundred and fifty scholars, removed, in May, 1857, to a hall on Columbia street, near Summit, where in two years, its numbers were doubled, and a new necessity arose for larger accommodations. Lots were purchased on the corner of Hicks and Rapelyea streets, on which a building (fifty by one hundred, with suitable infant, library and conference rooms), was erected, capable of holding one thousand children. It was first occupied on the sabbath school anniversary, May, 1860, and dedicated on June 10th of the same year. In the winter of 1860-61, a sabbath evening preaching service was held; the Rev. Ira D. Clark selected as the school missionary; and a revival followed in which over forty souls were converted to God. In March, 1861, Mr. Clark left the school, and the propriety of a distinct church organization was discussed, which was finally secured, in the 26th of June, 1862, when the Strong Place Baptist Church granted letters of dismissal to fifty-five brethren and sisters, members of their body who were organized into a separate church under the name of the Tabernacle Baptist Church, Brooklyn. And on the 10th of July following, Messrs. Dwight Spencer, A. C. Burke and John F. Davis were chosen deacons, and in March, 1863, Theodore Shotwell was also made a deacon. Shortly after the formation of the church, the Rev. T. Edwin Brown, a graduate of Washington College, D. C., and a licentiate from the First Baptist church of Washington city, was called to the pastorate; and, on the 13th of November, 1862, was publicly ordained, at which time, also, the church was formally recognized by its sister churches. During his ministry the congregation was largely increased, especially during the first eighteen months of his labors; in the spring of 1866 (in connection with the mission work of Rev. A. B. Earle); and again in connection with the week of prayer in 1868. Mr. Brown resigned the pastorate in 1869, and was succeeded by Rev. A. C. Osborn, D.D.
On November 10, 1867, several teachers of the sabbath school, with the cooperation of the church, established a mission Sunday school, in a store hired for the purpose, near the junction of Hamilton avenue and Court street; eighty-three scholars were gathered in on that day, their number gradually increased, and it is now a useful and successful institution.
The home sabbath school continues (1869) prosperous, having over one thousand one hundred on its rolls, with an average attendance of from five hundred to six hundred and fifty, and a library of two thousand volumes. Since the formation of the church in 1862, with fifty-five members, it has had a total membership of four hundred and sixty-one, of which three hundred and ninety-six remain at present. The contributions of the church for the past six years, for its own needs, benevolent and sabbath school purposes, has averaged $6,500 per annum. Lots have been purchased on the southwest corner of Second place and Clinton street (extending through to Third Place), on which it is proposed to erect a new house of worship.
Atlantic Street (now Hanson place) Baptist Church, Hanson place, corner of Portland avenue. In the autumn of 1853, some members of different Baptist churches became convinced that additional provision was needed for the religious wants of the tenth ward. Accordingly they instituted measures which resulted in commencing public worship in a hall on Atlantic street, and a church was constructed with twenty-five members June 18th, 1854, and publicly recognized by an ecclesiastical council, as a regular Baptist church, on the 9th of July of the same year. The congregation immediately proceeded to the erection of a chapel, on Atlantic street, near Powers, which was dedicated May 1st, 1855. The edifice was of brick, thirty-four feet front by sixty-four feet deep, and thirty feet high ; having, on its upper floor, an audience room capable of seating three hundred persons, and its basement floor accommodates sabbath school, infant class and pastor's study, the whole cost (inclusive of the price of the lot) being $6,000.
In the early part of its existence the congregation enjoyed the ministrations of Rev. H. J. Eddy, Rev. E. S. Davis and Rev. A. Stewart, until, in October, 1854, the Rev. M. G. Hodge assumed the pastorate of the church. In a few years the increase of interest demanded more extended accommodations, and lots were obtained on the corner of Hanson place and Portland avenue. The corner-stone of the present large structure was laid in October, 1859, and the edifice was dedicated in November, 1860. On its removal to the new location the congregation assumed its present name of the Hanson Place Baptist Church. In 1860, the pastor, Mr. Hodge, was compelled, by broken health, to resign his official connection with the church, and was succeeded by the Rev. Robert Lowrey, who commenced his labors in June, 1861. Mr. Lowrey resigned in July, 1869, to take a professorship in the Lewisburg College, Pa.
The Hanson Place Baptist Church, during the summer of 1867, completed the erection of a frame building for a mission church and Sunday school room, thirty-five feet by seventy in size, and located on the corner of Degraw street and Sixth avenue, at a cost of $10,700. A Sunday school of one hundred and forty average attendance is held there under the superintendence of Messrs. Lemuel W. Serrell and Avery Bill, besides volunteer preaching nearly every Sunday; and in connection with the mission there is an organization for relieving the wants of the destitute, in the matter Of clothing. This Mission Sunday school being midway between the Hanson Place Church and the Baptist church at Greenwood, will be the means, no doubt, in a few years, of building up a new Baptist church and society in the twenty-second ward.
The Greenwood Baptist Church was organized September 28th, 1858 (see sketches of Strong Place and Tabernacle Baptist Churches), by Win. M. Tallman, George T. Hope, William Stout and others. Its pastors have been Rev. Horace T. Love, installed on the 1st sabbath of January, 1858, dismissed September 19th, 1859 ; Rev. E. H. Page, installed October 15, 1859, dismissed June 1st, 1864 ; Rev. A. P. Graves, installed 1st sabbath in September, 1864, dismissed November 1, 1866; Rev. A. G. Lawson, installed March 17, 1867. The corner-stone of the present brick chapel was laid in 1863, and it was dedicated April 26th of same year; size, thirtyfive by seventy-five feet, cost $11,000. The proposed church edifice is to be ninety by one hundred and twenty-five feet in size, of brick, with stone trimmings, and to cost $60,000. Present church membership two hundred and fifteen, and that of sabbath school, three hundred and fifty.
The Gethsemane (late Bushwick avenue) Baptist Church was dedicated to divine service January 27, 1867. Formerly, this congregation which numbers about two hundred members, worshiped in a frame edifice located in Bushwick avenue, E. D., but having sold the structure in 1866, steps were taken to procure a site to erect a new building. Accordingly five lots were purchased on Willoughby avenue near Broadway, (ninth ward) on a portion of which the new church was erected and fitted up, at an expense of nearly $8,000. It is a frame structure, seventyfour by thirty-five, one story in height, and capable of seating about four hundred persons. The interior is finished off in a neat and substantial manner, well heated and lighted, and in every respect well suited to the purpose it is devoted. In the rear of the main building is an extension fourteen feet deep, running entirely across and divided into two apartments, the library and infant class rooms respectively. The Rev. Henry S. Stevens its first pastor, resigned in August, 1869.
Clinton Avenue Baptist Church (near Myrtle avenue), owes its origin to the benevolence of the late Win. D. Mangam, a successful and liberal merchant of New York, who died at his residence on Clinton avenue, April 3d, 1868. His life, after his conversion, was marked by the noblest generosity towards all religious and charitable causes ; and, hearing about 1867, that a lady of Brooklyn had offered to the Baptist denomination a valuable lot on Vanderbilt avenue, if they would build a chapel thereon, Mr. M. bought eight lots adjoining, and at once proceeded to build a chapel. It was his purpose to erect the main church edifice, with the proceeds of his business, on the lots adjoining the chapel, and towards this he worked diligently and energetically, but death claimed him before his work was completed. His family, however, took up the work he had commenced and finished the chapel, which is one of the most complete in the country, being a brick structure, fifty by ninety feet in size, with brown stone trimmings, and of remarkable simplicity and beauty of finish. Its cost, including that of grounds, was $70,000. We have no history of the society; Rev. E. T. Hiscox, D.D., pastor.
The First Baptist Church (situated on the south-east corner of Fifth and South Fifth streets, E. D.), was constituted, with fourteen members, April 14, 1839, under the name of the Williamsburgh Bethel Independent Baptist Church, which was changed May 11, 1846, to that of the First Baptist Church of Williamsburgh. Its first pastor was the Rev. John Jones, from April 18, to November 19, 1839, followed by Rev. C. F. Frey, from May 13, 1840 to March 20, 1841, then by Rev. Samuel Muzzy, who served from September 12, 1841, to November 8, 1843, during which latter years a church edifice was erected, and dedicated on the 29th of June. The Rev. Theophilus Jones officiated from December 13, 1843, to March 26, 1844, the Rev. Alanson P. Mason, from May 19, 1844, to November 1, 1849, the Rev. Morgan I. Rhees, from July, 1850, the Rev. Samuel Baker, D.D. from 1854, until his resignation, April 2, 1865. On the first sabbath in November, 1865, Rev. John B. Brackett assumed the pastorate; having been for seven years previous pastor of the Central Baptist Church at Poughkeepsie, N. Y. He was installed here in December, 1865. The first of the church deacons was David K. Stevens; trustees, Robert Fisher and John Cheeney; and clerk, John R. Adams; and during the first three years of its history, its progress was very slow and discouraging, but it now stands high in the number and character of its membership. The present church edifice, is of brick, covered with mastic, in imitation of brown stone, is built in the Gothic style, with two spires, and will accommodate from eight hundred to nine hundred persons. Present church membership four hundred and twenty-five, and of Sunday school four hundred. This church also has a mission school in Montrose avenue, established in 1857, among the Germans, and which has been from the first, very successful. For several years this school was held in an old building in McKibbin street. In 1866 a new building was erected in Montrose avenue, at a cost of $25,000, mostly constituted by members of the First Baptist church. It is one of the best mission school buildings in Brooklyn, and is also used as a house of worship by the First German Baptist Church.
Central Baptist Church (Williamsburgh). A number of persons, having received letters of dismission, dated June 20, 1865,-from the First Baptist Church of Williamsburgh, held their first meeting for public worship in Temperance Hall, South Second street, near Fourth, on Lord's day, July 2, 1865. A Sunday school was organized in the afternoon; the number of scholars and teachers present was fifty; and Mr. J. V. Gatenby was chosen superintendent. The school has steadily increased in numbers and interest, and now has about two hundred scholars in attendance, with three interesting bible classes, and twenty-two teachers. July 7th, a Baptist church was formed under the name of the Central Baptist Church of Williamsburgh, L. I. Forty-two persons presented their letters of dismission from the First Church. Messrs. Thomas Cooke, William Heron and John V. Gatenby were elected deacons; Thomas B. Saddington, treasurer, and William Tinsley, clerk. February 14, 1866, the church was recognized by a council, and February 18th, public recognition Services were held. Preaching was supplied by various neighboring ministers and other brethren from the beginning.
Mr. Thomas A. T. Hanna, then a student at Hamilton, having preached on various occasions, was unanimously invited to the pastorate at a meeting of the church, May 11, 1866; accepted the call and commenced his pastorate August 1st.
The church united with the Hudson River Association South, at its annual meeting held June, 1866, but is now connected with the Long Island Baptist Association, which was constituted June 27, 1867, at the First Baptist Church, Brooklyn.
At a meeting of the church, held July 3, 1866, the following brethren were elected trustees: 0. B. Petit, T. B. Saddington, J. V. Gatenby, Charles V. Linde, and John Knight. The hall in which the church met for worship from its commencement, not affording sufficient accommodation for the increasing congregation, the church availed itself of an opportunity and purchased the house of worship occupied by the Reformed Church, corner of Fourth and South Second streets. The ordination of Mr. Hanna to the work of the Gospel ministry, took place September 13, 1866.
The church had previously called Samuel Baker, D.D., to their pulpit. He, however, declined; afterwards invitations were given to various Baptist
ministers, but these calls were declined. The want of a house of worship and the nearness of the First Baptist Church made it apparently a very difficult field to cultivate. When Mr. Hanna accepted the call of the church, it had fifty-seven members. During these three and a half years of his ministry which have already elapsed, the membership has increased to nearly two hundred ; and a colony of Baptists, originally of the First Baptist Church of Green-Point, but who had found a temporary home in the Central Church of Williamsburgh , founded the Union Avenue Baptist Church of Green-Point. Mr. Hanna, up to date, continues as pastor of the Central Church. During his ministry, about ninety persons have been immersed. A remarkable feature of this work has been the large number of those educated in other denominations, who have become Baptists in principle and practice. The house of worship is a large frame building, the oldest meeting house, perhaps, in the 'Burgh, and stands upon four lots which are rapidly increasing in value.
The First German Baptist Church arose from the missionary labors of the present pastor, Rev. W. Fasching, among the Germans in this part of the city, commenced in 1863. Meetings were held at first, in private houses; then in Franklin Hall, corner of Remsen street and Graham avenue; and on the 21st of December, 1854, twenty-four members organized as a church, which was duly recognized by a council, and the public recognition occurred on the 10th of January, 1855, in the Second Baptist Church. In 1857, when the church had attained a membership of sixty-nine, Mr. Fasching accepted a call from New Orleans, La., and this church remained without a pastor until November, 1866, when he returned to it as its pastor, finding its membership only thirty-six. Since then the church has had a steady growth and now numbers one hundred members. The edifice they now occupy is rented from the First Baptist Church (E. D.), who built it for the accommodation, of their mission school ; their contributions for current expenses, during the last year, was nearly $1,100, paid by about twenty heads of families, each having an average weekly income of about fourteen dollars.
In June, 1868, a few members of the Pierrepont street and Central Baptist churches having obtained possession of a building No. 175 Sands street, formerly used as a bar and billiard room, opened there a Baptist sabbath school, under the pastoral care of Rev. John A. Toomath, a city missionary of the Pierrepont street church.
First Baptist Church, Green-Point. There are no authentic records of the organization of this church. From the most trustworthy accounts the following facts have been gathered, concerning the church until 1851, after which an accurate record was kept. There were in 1847, about thirteen Baptists living in Green-Point, who, feeling the need of worshiping according to Baptist usage, organized a church with nine members, in the old Origen house, in Franklin avenue. Rev. Mr. Jones, and others, supplied the pulpit until some time in 1849, during which time a small house was built, costing about $700, and capable of seating about one hundred persons. Preaching was regularly continued for two years, by the supply system. In July, 1851, Mr. Peter Boyce, a licentiate of Cannon Street Church, N. Y., was invited to preach for the church, at a salary of $150 per annum. The membership of the church at this time was thirty-four. Mr. Boyce continued preaching, until April, 1853, when he desired to relinquish the charge, but the church voted that 11 Mr. Peter Boyce be continued as our pastor for an unlimited time," and he again resumed his duties as preaching pastor. In April, 1854, Mr. Boyce again desired the church to call some minister, who could 11 devote all his time to the work of the ministry," and at his earnest suggestion a call was extended to Rev. J. T. Seely, of New York; Mr. Seely declined the call. In January, 1855, the church unanimously voted "that brother Peter Boyce be ordained, believing that " his usefulness would be increased," and on February 22, he was ordained according to Baptist usage. In May, Mr. Boyce again notified the church that its interests required a minister who could give himself wholly to the ministry, and that he could remain as pastor no longer than June. With sorrow his resignation was accepted. During Mr. Boyce's ministry the house was enlarged to forty by eighty, at a cost of about $800. The membership increased to forty-one. In July, 1855, the church called to the pastorate Rev. J. Y. Aitchison, who accepted, and was ordained, or reordained in September. His pastorate closed in September, 1856. In October, Rev. Robert Carr was invited to supply the pulpit, which be did until September, 1857, when a call was extended to Rev. Kelsey Walling, who accepted, and was ordained in October. The membership of the church at this time was forty-five. Mr. Walling's pastorate, a successful one, continued until September, 1859, when he resigned. A call was extended to Rev. H. R. Knapp, who declined. The pulpit was supplied by different ministers, principally by Rev. Peter Bryce, until May 1, 1860, when Rev. Alfred Harvey received and accepted a call from the church to become pastor. The church increased up to this time to sixty-nine members. In May, 1861, Rev. A. Harvey resigned, and in the following month an invitation was extended to Rev. William Reid, of Connecticut, to become pastor. He accepted and entered upon his duties in September. During his pastorate, which continued until March 8, 1867, new lots were secured in a now eligible location, and a neat brick edifice was built, which was afterwards enlarged, and which is now worth about $40,000. Large numbers were added to the church by letters and baptisms. This great result was due to the tiring labors of the pastor, who in connection with the members, wrought faithfully to strengthen the church, and their efforts were crowned with splendid success. In the following April, Rev. J. W. T. Boothe, the present pastor was called. The present members, about three hundred and seventy-five.
The Sunday school in connection with the church progressed as the church did. During Mr. Reid's pastorate its success was most gratifying, and it now numbers about four hundred scholars and teachers. There are two mission schools in connection with the church school. The Sixth Street Mission was organized September 20, 1868, and now numbers about seventyfive. The Union Avenue Mission was organized September 27th, 1868, and its present numbers are about seventy. Lots have been secured for each of these missions upon which edifices are to be built this spring.
 We find in the L. I Star, November 24, 1819, notice given to the Baptists and people of Brooklyn, that the Rev. John Ellis has hired a house opposite Mr. Hick's, in Fulton street, for divine worship.BACK
 Subsequently died at sea, March 1, 1853.BACK