[Sample Config Files]
We expect this page to change often as we add features and fix bugs
related to the package. Check back often.
- News Shogun 1.1.1 is now available for
- I've modified the sample config files to include
descriptions of individual config rules.
- Updated the versions page to include more
info about the upcoming release.
- The News Gizmo is being renamed the News Shogun, just 'cos I hate the
old name so much.
- Gizmo 1.1.0 is now available for download.
- The second beta of the perl version
of the gizmo is now available for download.
Still only useful for INN's with a "readers.conf".
- Just a few hours later, the third beta of the
perl version of the gizmo is now
available for download. This version
hopefully adds support for Typhoon's -postprog filtering interface, and
brings feature-parity between INN and Typhoon.
- The first beta of the perl version of
the gizmo is now available for download.
This version is intended for use with recent snapshots of INN 2.3 and
newer. If your version of INN does not include the "readers.conf" config
file, this version of the News Gizmo is probably useless to you, but the
old C-version should still suit you just fine.
- I've created the readers.conf configuration file for INN 2.3's (yes, 2.3
and not 2.2. 2.2 is going into feature freeze, and we all want to see it
get out the door.) nnrpd. This configuration file allows hooks into the
Gizmo's authentication methods.
I'm planning on dropping support for INN versions less than 2.2. 2.2
should have many new reader features (which I'm working on adding now)
which will allow an administrator to run the gizmo with no patches to
INN, but modifying it to run without patches will require massive
changes to gizmo internals. The current version of the gizmo will
continue to work with INN versions between 1.4unoff4 and 1.7.2.
In related news, I'll soon be changing the current implementation of
the gizmo from a C patch to nnrpd to a perl filter. This should make
extension much easier, and will make it easier to merge the INN version
with the Typhoon 'post-filter' version.
These changes will invalidate most of the web site. The feature set
should remain the same, but the configuration, and the how of the
gizmo, will probably be nearly unrecognizable.
- Version 1.0.2 is available for
download. This is a maintenance release
which mostly attempts to fix bugs in the installation.
- Typhoon -postprog compatible version posted.
- It took forever, but Version 1.0.0 is
finally available for download.
- Put up modified version of the
Thanks, Russ Allbery!
- New gizmo and gizmo-announce mailing lists set up. See
here for info.
- New FAQ page.
- Version 0.4.9 is available for
- I'm seriously considering a much more difficult (but
ever-so-muchly-much-more powerful) configuration format and API. The API
is still in the early planning stages, but the format is basically done..
See here for an example file.
- Patch to allow poisoned newsgroups in hosts.nntp available from
- Version 0.4.6 is available for
- Work on the website:
- Updated the API page to describe the
libconf config loading hooks.
- Updated the lowlevel page to reflect
the current version of the software.
- Updated the features page to reflect
what the news gizmo can do for you.
[Sample Config Files]
These pages copyright (c) 1997-2001
Public Access Networks Corp. (PANIX)
All rights reserved.
Written by Aidan Cully
Designed by Aidan Cully and
From an original design by
Alexis Rosen and
Last modified on Monday, 18-Mar-2013 16:56:40 EDT