Daniel Convissor's Web Site (is in the midst of reconstruction):
Central Park Drives' Recreation Hours
Summer Hours are now extended to cover most of the year, thanks to
organizing done by Transportation Alternatives. This means that January
through November, the hours of the non-bike/jogging lanes on the loop
road in Central Park are as follows:
- 10a-3p Open for recreation, closed to motorists
- The road segment from 6 Av to 72 St is closed to
recreation, open to motorists
- 3p-7p Closed to recreation, open to motorists
- 7p-10p Open for recreation, closed to motorists
- 10p-10a Closed to recreation, open to motorists
- Transportation Alternatives is now
pushing to keep the cars out overnight. Write the Mayor.
I hope you noticed my semantic use of "open" and "closed." Central Park
is just that, a park, not a freeway. The cars should be kicked out
permanently. If you agree, consider doing one or many of the following:
- Central Park Traffic Calming Ride. Takes place on the first and second
Fridays of the month. Meet at 6p on West Drive across from Tavern on the
Green. Ride/skate with cool folks, taking up a lane of traffic. It's mellow
and fun. This is sponsored by Times Up
- Write the Mayor, Rudolph Giuliani, City Hall, NY, NY 10007.
- Join Transportation Alternatives, the
organization working hardest to get cars out of the park.
Up to the Auto-Free Central Park Page
Are you having a hard time printing this page? Read the Printing FAQ.
This page is hosted by Daniel Convissor
Home Page: http://www.panix.com/~danielc/
This URL: http://www.panix.com/~danielc/nyc/cphours.htm
Last updated: 4 April 1999