Daniel Convissor's Website
Auto-Free Central Park
- Removing motorists from Central Park will ease traffic congestion, not worsen it.
- There used to be roadways going through Washington Square Park. Valuable lessons arise from examining the community organizing used to remove the cars and the traffic consequences of that change.
- The traffic impact of the collapse and repair of the West Side Highway also has bearing on the efforts to remove cars from Central Park.
- Debating why and how to open Central Park by closing the loop road to cars.
- Present car-free hours on the loop road.
- People have been calling for Central Park to be Auto-Free as early as 1924.
- Check out Transportation Alternatives' Auto Free Central Park Home Page. TA is a grassroots organization working for transportation reform in NYC. I hope you'll get involved.
This page is hosted by Daniel Convissor
Home Page: http://www.panix.com/~danielc/
This URL: http://www.panix.com/~danielc/nyc/afcp.htm
Last updated: 9 April 2000