- Unchecked Surveillance Technology Is Leading Us Towards Totalitarianism (International Business Times) Cory Doctorow in a well justified rant.
- Digital Economy Act: UK Police could soon disable phones, even if users don’t commit a crime (The Independent) Live in obedient fear, citizen!
- Lawyer: Cops “deliberately misled” judge who seemingly signed off on stingray (Ars Technica) Live in ……… Well, you know.
- Questions for US military after doubt cast on efficiency of Afghan bombing (The Guardian) As the Patriot is Gulf War I showed, the military lies about the efficacy of its weapons.
- U.S. Economy Can’t Even Match the “Sclerotic Statism” of France (The Center for Economic and Policy Research) Dean Baker notes that Frances “Sclerotic” economy has a higher employment-population ratio than the US.
The SNL cold open re: Joe and Mika’s recently announced engagement: