Features of our shell accountsPanix has been providing Internet connections since 1989. In the years since then, we've developed a reputation for technical know-how, reliability and customer service unmatched by today's vast and impersonal Internet providers.
Feel free to check out our quick technical summary if you're interested; the main features are listed below
All Panix accounts feature shell login access to our UNIX hosts; email,
USENET newsgroups, and many popular UNIX apps, utilities, and compilers
are available online. Email is accessible via webmail, IMAP, and POP
when you aren't logged in from the shell.
You can use your disk space to store files for later download, keep copies of your email, set up your personal Web page on the ("www.panix.com" server), or all three. Your disk space is protected by our RAID fileserver with multiple daily snapshots of your directories and nightly tape backups.
All Panix shell services can be accessed from anywhere on the Internet via telnet, ftp, ssh, and the like. Direct Dial adds dialup capability, through a terminal emulator program.
Check out our prices!
All Panix accounts are subject to the terms and restrictions found in The Panix Rules of Use. Some accounts and features may be subject to additional restrictions; see The Panix Policies page for details.
Panix shell services include:
- Unmetered terminal access to our UNIX user hosts.
- Your choice of Unix shell (including zsh, tcsh, bash, etc.), or an easy-to-use menu interface.
- Access to well-maintained UNIX applications,
utilities, compilers, etc. for email, newsgroups, FTP, telnet,
text-only Web browsing, and other uses too numerous to mention.
Check out the commands in /usr/local/bin and the packages we maintain.
- RAID-protected disk storage. You get 2 GB free with the account, with extra space available for a fee. This isn't just any RAID, either- it's a file server that provides multiple snapshots for instant recovery of accidentally deleted or altered files.
- Web, IMAP or POP access to your Panix email and NNTP access to newsgroups, from anywhere on the Internet (this lets you use today's popular mail and news apps).
- Unlimited email addresses. You can have as many addresses you want in the <yourID>.users.panix.com domain.
- NNTP access to thousands of newsgroups, including the panix.* hierarchy, meeting place of the Panix community.
- Private web browsing. Privoxy lets you browse through our shell hosts as a proxy; with or without ads.
- FTP server. Access your files via FTP or sFTP.
- SSH access via the web. We let you ssh in on port 80.
- Access to a Panix Web server where you can keep your Web pages (even your own CGIs), with 1 GB (1024 MB) of transfers per month included. (Transfers in excess of this allocation are $1/GB.) We will even install WordPress in your web space if you wish.
- Optional Security and encryption features:
Panix provides a number of enhanced security options to its users. You can use fully encrypted authentication and communication via SSH on Panix to help protect your account from unauthorized access. We also support S/Key for one-time passwords for cleartext and SSH logins.
If you'd like more info about the security features we offer, just drop us a line.
- MySQL database is available as a standard feature with phpMyAdmin access.
- Spam Control under your control. You set your anti-spam settings, via SpamAssassin and/or via blacklists.
- And much more. Chances are, we have what you're looking for... and if we don't, just ask! It may be available as an add-on, and if not we may very well add it.
Last Modified:Thursday, 13-Oct-2016 14:43:19 EDT
© Copyright 2006-2011 Public Access Networks Corporation