- How to Avoid a Surprise Bill for Your Coronavirus Test (New York Times) The best healthcare system in the world.
- A cop shoots a Black man and a city resumes battle with police union (Reuters) It’s long read, but a good example of how a police force in a large city Rochester, NY. is corrupt top to bottom.
- Social democracy or feudalism (interfluidity) This makes a very good case that these are the only two alternatives moving forward.
- Be Very Sparing in Allowing Site Notifications (Krebs on Security) If you say yes when a site asks for permission to send notifications, you are opening up a security hole
- UK sourced PPE from factories secretly using North Korean slave labour (The Guardian) Capitalism in all of its splendor.
- Deep Frozen Arctic Microbes Are Waking Up (Scientific American) This is going to get much worse.
- Apple lobbies against Uighur forced labor bill (Washington Post) Shorter Apple, “Genocide, schmenocide.”
- Declassify America’s Dirty Secrets in Syria to Stop a Biden War (The American Conservative) Yes, I’m quoting them. Half their stuff is neoliberal bullsh%$, and half is an argument against American empire. I like the second half.
- Uber driver says company isn’t offering aid after assault (AZ Central.com) As an independent contractor, Uber says that they have no responsibility to protect him, or help with his job related injuries. This is why the gig economy is evil.
David Rakoff’s Take on Rent. It is perhaps the most perfect take down of a Broadway show ever.